Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Watch Your Health

"I have three wishes for you, _ _ _ _ _ : 1-quit smoking, it delays aging; 2-cut down on..., it contains saturated fats and 3-determine to keep fit & strong...". Those were the advice I sent to a friend last night.

I don't make apologies if you are a smoker. Fact is, smoking kills and shortens your lifespan! It makes you look years older; don't believe? Wait till you reach your 30s and its going to show in your appearance and your physical vitality. At 39, my friend was panting away while talking on the phone after some flights of stairs.

As if panting isn't enough to prove one's lack of fitness, breathlessness accompanied by coughing isn't a good sign either. That IS worrying. Obviously, these symptoms are linked to the respiratory system. I wanted to say more but decided those words were enough. At least for now.

I wonder why some people smoke. I hate smoking and I will never understand their addiction to it since I've never been in their shoes. I can embark on a personal campaign against smoking too but smokers do need time to snub it out. It isn't too late to quit if you're in your mid-life. What you need is loads of determination, motivation and support from those around you.

Next, your normal diet determines your health. Its obvious to many that what goes into our system affects our internal functions in the long run. Perhaps I shall use duck meat as an example here. Duck skin has a thick layer of oil beneath it. Take a good look and imagine those oils depositing inside your system over the years. For many, it tastes oh-so-yummy. Its worrying to hear that this friend of mine consumes duck meat very often because its delicious.

No thank you, I don't like duck either although I've acquired a taste for its braised or roasted meat. They're ubiquitous in Singapore. Besides, my husband's family adores the 'fragrant' smell and taste so I've little choice but to accept this dish as a regular one that I see on the dinner table at least once a fortnight. Of course, I always throw away the skin along with the oil. It is high in saturated fats and eating too much may contribute to affluent sicknesses like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart attack and stroke. If you value your health, kindly watch what goes into your normal diet. Of course, there are always exceptions. When the skin and fat is extracted before the meat is cooked, that is a different story.

Last, but not the least, fitness affects your quality of life. I feel miserable if I am physically unproductive in my daily life. I need a good boost of energy to perk up my day and be able to accomplish as much as possible before evening comes. Besides, one who is fit and strong looks more attractive than one who isn't. My friend isn't fat but there is an obvious lack of physical fitness. For someone who hasn't hit the big-4 yet, the alarm bells are already ringing.

If your loved ones fall into the same category as my friend, please help them. They are living an unhealthy lifestyle. Like cancer, it will gradually rob away their health and possibly their life. No one can promise that a healthy lifestyle means one is constantly free from physical woes or sickness but it is a safer option to prevent first rather than cure it later.



2 comments:

  1. Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess
    I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any tips and hints for inexperienced blog writers?
    I'd genuinely appreciate it.

    My web-site ... metal handgun targets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    Thank you for visiting my blog. My apologies if I've eaten your first comment. Honestly, I've no idea why or how it happened, haha.
    Actually, I tried replying from your website but I had no access to it since I had to login first.
    I'm still very much a novice blogger, writing more for myself and not for commercial or fame. To me, an interesting blog is one that flows from the depths of our hearts and minds. I assume from the contents of your blog that you are a male. Since yours is more technical in nature, I guess it attracts a very specific group of readers. Perhaps, it would be nice if you could include a personal account of anyone's experience with using a handgun and some useful thoughts about it. My 2-cents' worth. Hope it helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete